Thursday, May 27, 2010

Padlocks

She waits impatiently by her window, watching out for the familiar outline of a black Range Rover passing through her street on its way to her doorstep. "Aish, what's taking him this long? He said he was home and was just going to pick up a few things. Besides this random outing was his idea." Stirred from her momentary frustration by a familiar honk, she sees Khan. She grabs the hoodie she had by her bed and skips down their stairs. She quickly yells, "Appa, I will be out just for a bit. Don't wait up. I have my handphone if you need to reach me."

Keun Seuk was waiting for her outside his new toy-cum-bestfriend Khan. He gives her his warm smile his hand outstretched with an apple,
Mianhae, Shin Hye I took a bit longer than I thought I would to grab stuff, so I got you this instead. She takes the apple and gives it a crunchy bite, in acceptance of his apology. Keun Seuk holds her hand and her passenger side door with his other free hand.

"So where are we going Oppa? And why do you insist we dress up as incognito as possible?"

You'll soon see. He says as he ensures she had secured her place on the passenger seat before closing the door. A few moments later he revs up the engine and turns the radio on. Go change it to any station you like. You're the dashboard pilot tonight. Shin Hye fiddles around with the radio until she hears a familiar tune. They both start to sing along, until Keun Seuk turns the car uphill to the famous landmark in Seoul.

"Namsan? This is where we're going? With all these other people? That's quite bold Oppa!"

We'll park far enough and this is why the incognito act is so important. Do you think you brought the necessary tools for this operation? Keun Seuk checks with Shin Hye.

"Uhm, I don't know. I hope so." Shin Hye fidgets at the thought of such a public setting of this outing.

Ha, don't fret. Heechul will meet you by where we park. You guys will go first up to the observatory and stay there for a while. I'll see you half an hour later. Keun Seuk lays out the plan.

"Wow, I'm impressed. You even got an accomplice. But a famous accomplice still!! Oppa, what were you thinking?!? So careless. Aish!"

Mianhae, he was the only one available. Your scandal-free bestfriend had other stuff to do. So, I hope Heechul can be as scandal free for you as we need.

She squeezes his arm teasingly and affectionately. "It's okay. I'm really impressed. All this trouble. You must like me that much."

Like? Is that all you think this is? How you underestimate me... Keun Seuk says with his drama pout.

She pinches his cheek "Ah, look at you. Kyowo!!"

Keun Seuk parks Khan next to a Peugeot on a quiet street a few blocks away from the tower. A few moments later, they hear a tap on Shin Hye's window. Seeing Heechul, Keun Seuk unlocks the door. "Shin Hye-ssi, may I do the honor?" Heechul politely asks opening her door.
Komowoyo hyung. You know the drill, right? Keun Seuk asks Heechul. His good friend nods and takes Shin Hye's hand. Shin Hye puts on her hoodie and links arms with Heechul as they walk together towards the spot. Keun Seuk looks at the rearview mirror as his friend and Shin Hye walk away. Ugh, they do look like a good couple. Keun Seuk, wasn't this your idea? Then why are you still jealous. Weirdo!

He checks and double checks the stuff he was going to bring up to the tower. As with all things he cares passionately about, he wants this evening to be perfect.

Half an hour later he finds Shin Hye and Heechul on the observation deck. He sits next to Heechul.
Ahem. I believe I can take this from here. He reminds Heechul who seems to be having a good time with Shin Hye pointing out constellations from afar. "You can be an ingrate sometimes. Think of the scandal I saved you from" Heechul teases his friend. He stands up from the deck and motioned that he will just be hanging around in case he'll still be needed. "Komowoyo Heechul Oppa, I had a great time on our date" Shin Hye calls out quietly. Heechul nods. Keun Seuk scoots over to Shin Hye taking the vacant spot Heechul left. Had a great time huh? Now, let's just go home. You don't need this date with me anymore it seems. Keun Seuk chides.

"Oppa, you're being dramatic. I like it here. I can stay here for a bit with anyone willing to stay with me. No wonder you said this is one of your favorite date spots."

Yes, that's true. But I only say that because I'm Seoul Ambassador. I need to pitch all the tourist spots in my international events. Keun Seuk admits.

But, I'll let you in on a secret. I've always wanted to come here and enjoy it like tourists and ordinary persons would. And now I get to do that with you. First time to visit this way, actually.

Shin Hye smiles at the revelation. She puts her head on his shoulder. "This would've been a great spot to shoot the final Minamishineyo scene, huh Oppa? But I guess they didn't want us to get antis from Kkot Boda Namja fans. Now I understand why every Korean drama mentions Namsan. The sight is pretty and the feeling is romantic."


Shin Hye, let's go. Help me with these and let's put them in the rails.
Keun Seuk commands standing up from the deck and showing her the 4 pairs of blue and pink padlocks on his palm. The pink locks bear the word Dwejji and the blue ones Tokki, commemorating their love symbol from the drama that drew them closer.

Her eyes light up knowing the significance of the locks to the tower. It was something lovers do to solidify their commitment. The subtlety and simplicity of the pairs of locks he chose gives her a warm tug in her heart amid the cool night breeze.

I've always wanted to do this too. With the right person . Keun Seuk informs the girl bewildered by his request.

"Okay, Oppa. This should be fun. But why do we need four?"

No special meaning. We could have done ten but I thought it was overkill. So, I got four pairs, just to be sure that it will be here for many months and years to come. My romantic side must've given up at that point.

She laughs. It is so Keun Seuk to put some reason and humor to a sweet and tender moment. "If that's the case, maybe Heechul can help us with some of these locks?" she jokingly suggests. Keun Seuk growls,
Andwae, this is my moment. He already stole too many moments earlier. Let him stay where he is. Over there by the side.

He grabs her hand as they walk toward the North rail, each of them holding 2 pairs of the locks. No words were said while they install the locks on the rails, just tender glances every now and then. As they clamp the fourth pair on the rail facing West, Keun Seuk raises the question.
Now does it make sense why there were four?

"I think so, Oppa. But maybe you should still tell me. After all, we haven't said a single word since the first lock."

He holds both of her hands, looking straight into her eyes.

Shin Hye-a, no matter what direction the wind takes this. Us. What we share. What we have. We will still be locked in. You will be in my life and I will be in yours, in whatever form or reason. That much I can assure you of.

So you better not go about thinking it's only just because I LIKE you. You know better than that.

She smiles again and holds his hand as they walk towards where Heechul was to head home. She scans the deck, mentally recording where their Dwejji-Tokki locks were positioned. This night is memorable.

She takes one last glance up at the sky and sees the North Star shining brightly, as if Heaven's promise that they will never lose their way.


5 comments:

  1. Ahhh...Nam San tower and the padlocks! Every Korean drama staple. If you get to Seoul this June, Dot, make sure to put up padlocks for KS2H. :) I like this fic. Esp. the rationale behind the four padlocks. Aww, so poetic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, KS2H locks. I like that. Maybe I can get Amy and Jane to come up to Nam San with me so we can have a lock clamping ceremony for KS2H. haha!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi, i really like the situation... so romantic..
    just a small note, as i knew, 'hyung' means 'older brother', so ks calls heechul 'hyung' is right but heechul can't call him that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Panda!! I will make that edit. I'm learning as I write. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah our heenim... thank u so much dothie sis
    I love it so much, he can be a great oppa for shin hye...

    I hope So Hee is there to accompany him... poor heenim

    *Lol

    :)

    ReplyDelete