Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Dongsaeng

They just wrapped up the photo shoot. Ahjussi photographer and the interviewer were getting really curious. This two, there’s just that undeniable spark between them. Are they or aren’t they? She calls him Oppa all the time. With their limited command of Korean, the two Japanese editorial staff took this to mean that their relationship was only of that similar to being siblings. Could they get it ever more wrong? After all, Oppa is a confusing term.

But they found it funny to watch how Shin Hye is such a tease. Being the bubbly girl she is it’s funny how she can rib Keun Seuk to his chagrin.


“Oppa, what the heck was that handholding for? It’s not like that shot will make the cut in the layout.”


Ya, Shin Hye, who are you to talk like that? You’re the one getting your flirt on by clinging to me in most shots.


“Stop complaining, Oppa! We know you like it” She imitates his leaning and smiling poses.


Arasso, arasso. Have it your way. I can’t win anything with you.


“Well, because you let me.” She says frustratingly. “Oppa, if we want to be equals, challenge me as I challenge you. That’s your role. You need to teach me stuff I don’t know yet. After all, you’re older than me.” She bows at him mockingly and turns around to go and socialize with the production staff. He is left by the break room table as they take an hour break prior to shooting their website welcome video. He’s alone with his thoughts and although she was right there with him and he’s making sure she was just an arms’ length away in case something happens, she was still the only one on his mind.


That’s the problem for Keun Seuk. How can he win anything around her when he rather wouldn’t? When, except for his solitary moment of domination as he asked her to stay with him, she’s always had her way since. It’s not that he can’t, but just that he won’t.


She’s got him reined in, that’s for sure. And to Keun Seuk, that’s a first. Even in relationships with the noonas he’s been in the past, he always takes the lead. But with Shin Hye, for some reason, he needs to make it right or be square. And making it right, sometimes, no, actually most of the time, that meant she will have her say and her way. Even though, in this situation, he was officially the Oppa. Such irony. *Sighs*


Oh, heaven knows what happens when she gets upset. Like that one time he showed up to meet with her and her JIFF partner, Joon Ki after their icebreaker meeting. He knew the guy from the murder movie they starred in together. Gee, he still remembers the many takes they had to make of that gory scene. He almost fears that the guy could hate him in real life. And ironically, he becomes Shin Hye’s “boyfriend” for the JIFF, as they were both picked to be ambassadors. Thinking of that concept sends chills to his spine, with the green goo of jealousy somehow trying to seep in. Not too long ago, Shin Hye thought to invite the both of them for casual dinner together. Kind of like a reunion cum getting-to-know-you dinner between the two men. Over dessert in that dinner, Keun Seuk had asked Joon Ki to look after Shin Hye while they are together in JIFF activities. Hearing this, Shin Hye gave Keun Seuk the glare. Yes, she gave him the look that could send him running to his mother.


“Keun Seuk-ssi, just who are you to think I need to be looked after? I may be young but I can handle myself just fine. I am not a kid, remember that” she argues.


Noticing that she used the formal tone, Keun Seuk knew he was in big trouble. Arasso, Shin Hye-a. Mianhae. I was just trying to make conversation.


“Well, find a different topic.”


Joon Ki tried to stifle his giggle over the encounter. And guy-to-guy his eyes met Keun Seuk’s, silently speaking, “You have one handful of a woman right here. Don’t worry, I got your back, hyung.”

Watching Shin Hye and Joon Ki’s recent outings on TV together, Keun Seuk observed that he was actually a fine lad. He was being gentlemanly and everything, taking Shin Hye’s interest first and always giving her the chance to speak her mind. Way to go, hyung. Komowoyo for taking good care of her. He says to the TV screen as their JIFF promotion interview came on. But don’t get too darn close, or else I will be very tempted to make that Burger King bathroom murder scene real.


“Oppa, Joon Ki-ssi said he’d like to take me out to dinner” goes Shin Hye’s sing-song and teasing voice snapping Keun Seuk out of his trance in front of the break room TV. She sits beside him as she saw him watching the interview segment with her and Joon Ki on it. But you already went to dinner with him, he reminded her. “I know, but that was when we went with you. I think he means he wants to take me to dinner, just the two of us”

She’s really trying his patience and jealousy. But, he thinks he knew the answer she would love to hear. So, he swallows his pride and lets it out softly.


Shin Hye-a, if you want to go then go. Who am I to get in the way? But that doesn’t mean I will feel okay. Yet, I trust you so I can deal with my feelings.


She pouts and smiles at his honesty. “Okay, I’ll go with him. He’s a nice guy. He finds you nice too. He told me so himself. So, how about this, I’ll let you know when my dinner out with him will happen and check in with you from time to time while we’re out. Does that work for you, Oppa?”


It tickled his heart that it sounded like she consulted him first before accepting a nice guy’s offer for dinner. Ne, komapta, that will work. He teases her, Shin Hye, you’re pretty and all but I think Joon Ki already knows his place between you and me. He is not very comfortable hearing you call him Oppa. Why do you think that is?


“Because, I already have an Oppa. And that’s you.” Shin Hye assures him.


He smiles at the sincerity of her statement and he thought to himself; Yes, this is why she always gets her way. Because in her own way, she lets me do what I love to do – be her Oppa.



1 comment:

  1. I love it when Keun Suk let Shin Hye has her way.

    ReplyDelete