Monday, May 17, 2010

Miss Congeniality

Multiple CFs. A JIFF ambassadorship. A movie. An overseas fan Meeting. And possibly even a 30-episode drama. This looks more and more like a Hallyu star's schedule. The funny thing is that this is Shin Hye's schedule. And with a growing number of international fans, she is definitely becoming a Hallyu star. She has come a long way. And as her Manager-nim gently quipped in his own Cyworld entry, her pain and her tears are all worth it. And this is what makes Keun Seuk proud. Yet, this is also what makes Keun Seuk feel mixed emotions he just can't put a finger on.

Her work with other people these days is showing more and more of the vibrant lady Keun Seuk first fell in love with back in autumn. He is happy that the colors and warmth of the blooming season gives her a spring in her step. But in his own twisted way, this also gives him pangs of jealousy. Yes, its ugly green head is eating at him. It doesn't help that she ends up with all the good-looking guys in all of Korean showbusiness.
Come on, aren't there any other pretty actresses you can pair that guy with? Why do you always pick Shin Hye? My. Shin Hye. Get another girl.

He calls her to check in. No answer.
Aish, can you not even give your Oppa a few seconds to say Hello? His phone rings and he picks up in the middle of the second ring.

"Oppa, did you call?"

Nae, why are you taking forever to pick up now? Am I too unimportant? Keun Seuk demands.

"Oppa, I'm on location right now. Shooting for Cyrano Agency, remember? Just been a little busy. But here I am now, returning your call."

Can I pick you up later today? I haven't seen you in a while.

"Uhm, actually the cast is going out again. Daniel Oppa made a mistake in one of his lines and we made a promise that he will have to take us out for dinner because of that."

Shin Hye, is it me or the cast that's important now? I see you're having loads of fun with them now than you do with me. He says unable to control his jealous fit.

"Keun Seuk-ssi, I don't want to indulge your jealousy right now by quarreling with you. I have a scene to shoot and I have no time for this childish conversation. I will call you when I get home, and I'm sorry if I can't see you today" Shin Hye tells him off in frustration.

Noting the change into formal tone, Keun Seuk tried to regain control of himself and his emotions,
Shin Hye-a, mianhae, I'm just being stupid today. Good luck with your scenes and I will wait for your call later.

In between classes, he sees Shin Hye post another Me2Day photo. It's an Action Photo of her and the Cyrano cast in all of their goofiness. He smiles then frowns. The smile was for the validation that he made the right choice of woman to fall for. The frown was for the growing knot in his stomach that the woman he chose is not as easy to keep after all. I must be that jealous to even see Um Tae Woong sunbae as a serious threat. Aish, Shin Hye why are you too friendly? You're giving me anxiety issues.

Keun Seuk's been thinking about this quite a lot. Even with the success of his international fan meetings, he can't seem to get over the fact that his relationship with her is progressing to a state wherein Shin Hye is becoming more and more his equal. Normally, he wouldn't have a problem with that. He wants her to succeed and forge her own path in this world they are in. But her typical friendliness and her jovial demeanor would be enough to give any caring boyfriend reasons to be jealous. She's very positive and enthusiastic that she will not have trouble charming any person she meets. That's how it was like on the You're Beautiful set. Everyone loves Shin Hye. It's just this case of project separation that's giving him bad thoughts, perhaps. After all, they started this relationship on the heels of You're Beautiful and now that they are moving on to their solo projects, it's becoming tougher to let go and accept that Shin Hye will soon meet other people and form good friendships with them as she did with the YB cast.
It's just complicated because I am the one who got to stay, beyond You're Beautiful, beyond characters, beyond scripts. I bet Hong Ki and Yong Hwa will not be having these issues.

It's adding to the stress that he can't publicly admit their status. Both of them fear the wrath of the antis. But being the open and honest person that he is, it is quite typical that he wants the whole world to know who owns his heart. He's been writing his own gibberish and even sent it to his Eels. There was quite a backlash in that public emotional outburst. Everyone was asking if he was okay and what-nots. He furrows his eyebrows while thinking.
Yes, I'm okay. But no, I'm not okay that I have to keep this relationship with Shin Hye under wraps since going out with her as often as I want to will help me with this possessive aka jealousy fits. See, if I can publicly hold her hand, publicly pick her up after her shooting, publicly drop her off for her CF, publicly do everything with her, there's less possibility all these boys she becomes friendly with will hope for a chance. Since they will know that I am her Oppa. Me. Her. Oppa.

His phone rings as he was walking from lunch in between classes. Her name flashes on the caller ID.
Now, you do miss me after all. He mutters to himself before picking up on the fourth ring. Nae, Shin Hye-ssi, what do you need?

"Oppa, cheer up now. Don't be so rude to me. Mianhae for telling you off earlier. I asked Um Tae Woong Oppa if he thinks I could skip today's cast dinner, he said we can just probably reschedule it to some other day. I asked Daniel Oppa also since it was supposed to be his treat. And they're all fine with rescheduling. So, looks like I can see you today after all."

It touches his heart that she tried to charm her way out of the cast dinner that was planned and was proud of her for getting everyone to oblige. It touches his heart that she made effort to spend time with him. He does mean something to her after all. And for Keun Seuk that erased all pangs of envy, jealousy and insecurity. At least for that day. He'll deal with other days when they come.

Gire, I will pick you up at your set location. Let me know when you're about to shoot your last scene for today so I can get there on time. He informs her of the plan.

And Shin Hye-a, thank you for making time for me. It means a lot. He tells her in all honesty.

"Oppa, of course. We'll talk later. Oh, and also, the Cyrano guys say you can join our cast dinner whenever that will be if you can make it. They said they'd love to meet the guy who gets to see the unlimited version of my wackiness." Shin Hye says in response, and in her own way assuring Keun Seuk of his place in her heart.

Keun Seuk feels a flutter in his own heart. He realizes that the indirect invitation to meet her co-stars is somehow a revelation that she's been telling them about him, about them. His heart feels safe. Yes, he chose the right woman.

6 comments:

  1. Dothy, sis. You could actually read what peoples have in their mind...

    This is what I want to read
    Omo sis, thanks a lot

    Another great job here

    I LOVE it... LOVE it... I really LOVE it sis, this one is my favorite
    although I love all your FF of course
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is lovely. so keun suk :)

    i love the title miss congeniality. and the way you describe ks's jealousy omo~

    thanks for sharing this to us :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. D...i'm so happy you update this soon...(hehe..i'm afraid you mizunderstood about my previous comment so i want to edit..and ended like this deleted all ugh...stupid me)...

    I love this one..with Keun suk point of view and his jealousy...and i love the title..Miss Congeniality...so suit Shin hye...

    Thank you D...^^v

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your comments! I'm glad you enjoyed this piece as much as I enjoyed writing it. :)

    I apologize for the randomness of my posting! I don't have a set schedule since I just write as the ideas come along.

    Now, tell me, what would you like to read about next?

    (Ifa - I didn't find your previous post confusing at all!! But thanks for re-commenting!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm addicted to Jang Keun Suk Par Shin Hye's love stories/ff , thanks for writing about them.

    ReplyDelete