Friday, May 28, 2010

Co-Pilot



***This one's dedicated to my dad. Father's Day is still a bit faraway, but I was inspired to write this today since I was hoping to read it to him when I visit him at the nursing home. Kind of a long one ***




Waiting for Shin Hye to come down so they could go and have breakfast, Keun Seuk takes a draw of smoke from his cigarette. He had been quite stressed these days. About to take another huff on the stick, he hears the door open and upon seeing Shin Hye's Appa, he hurriedly flicks off the cigarette butt onto the pavement, putting the light out with his sneakers. Omo, almost caught red-handed. What an impression I could've made. He thinks to himself as he feels his face get warmer and the rest of his body trembling just a wee bit. As Shin Hye's Appa comes towards the mailbox to grab the morning paper, Keun Seuk greets him formally Annyeonghaseyo Mr.Park

"O Keun-Seuk, waiting for Shin Hye? She's still upstairs getting ready, may take a while. Would you like to come up?"

Anieyo, I can just wait for her here.

"Okay, I'll keep you company then. We haven't talked at length before and since you've been spending a good amount of time with my Shin Hye-a, it would be a good idea to get to know you better. No?"


Keun Seuk was not ready for this talk and he feels that he is gulping too much, too quickly that Shin Hye's Appa is noticing his ridiculous behavior.


Mr Park laughs, noticing the silly nervous actions the boy before him was doing. He puts his hand over Keun Seuk's shoulder. "Ya, don't be scared. It's not like I will interrogate you. You're not in North Korea, you know?"

Ah, Mr. Park, nae, mianhae. I just was caught a little off-guard.

"I can see that fairly well Keun Seuk-ssi. Well, just be yourself. I won't make you feel any more uncomfortable then. Why don't we just plan for an outing, yea? You and me. I heard your quite into fishing and other stuff. Why don't we go on one of those one of these days. I know you're busy, so whenever you have time."

Heaving a silent sigh of relief while at the same time still wanting to make a good impression, Keun Seuk says Mr. Park, I can always make time. I actually have a free day about 2 days before I go to my next FM in Japan. I'd love to go fishing with you then.

"Deal. I know you will probably want to drive your Rover. But I'd prefer to drive us then, will that be okay? We won't take too long as I imagine you still need to prepare for your fan meeting."

Yes, that is fine Mr. Park. I'll just come by around 9 AM. Will walk from home since it's not so faraway from here anyway. I look forward to it.

As if on cue, Shin Hye's chirpy voice was heard as she came out of the house. "Mianhae Oppa for taking a while." She is surprised at the sight of the two men in her life standing in front of each other. Shin Hye embraces her father teasingly, "Appa, what are you doing? Scaring Keun Seuk out of his wits yet?"

Her father tells her, "No, quite the opposite. We're just scheduling a guys' hangout. I will let you youngsters go now." He assures his only daughter. Looking at Keun Seuk, "In 2 days, don't forget. We'll have fun I'm sure."

Nae, Mr. Park. I won't miss it. See you then.


Hearing this, Shin Hye tried to keep her face away to hide the amusement she was having from the situation "Ah, this is getting interesting" she thought to herself.


~~~S2~~~~S2~~~

He couldn't remember how many times he changed his shirt, his shoes and checked the rod he was going to take. He finds himself more nervous than preparing for an audition or a performance on this particular day. I can't remember that bonding with girlfriend's fathers were this nerve-wracking. But why am I like this? Ah, Shin Hye, look what you do to me. His phone rings.

"Appa said don't be silly. He'll come pick you up since you'll look like an idiot carrying all your gear to get here. And that's a command not a suggestion." Shin Hye mocks him on the other line.

Ya, give me a break. I wasn't like this to you when you met my omma. Please tell Mr. Park I will be ready when he comes by for me and thank you.

"Oppa, you will be fine. Trust me. And thank you for doing this." Shin Hye gives him the needed morale boost.

He heaves a deep sigh. He hopes Shin Hye is right.

~~~S2~~~~S2~~~

"Annyeonghaseyo Keun Seuk! Ready to roll?" Shin Hye's father asks him as he gets on the passenger seat after loading all his gear.

Nae, Mr. Park. I'm ready. And thank you again for the invitation.

"Ya, you can call me Appa if you want. I'll pretend that for today I gained another son. Sound good?"

Nae, Mr., A-appa.. Keun Seuk stammers. Shin Hye's father cannot help but grin.

On their way to the fishing site, while driving, Appa tries to make meaningful conversation and also to ease the nervous lad next to him. He tells him stories about Shin Hye's childhood.

"Shin Hye always takes the front passenger seat since she was young and was grown enough to not pose safety hazards. She likes seeing me drive and take her and the family to places. Someday, she said it will be her turn to drive me. I'm lucky not to have two daughters because then it will be so hard not to have favorites."

"You know Shin Hye is the type of daughter who will hang out with her father and brother for guy things. That's where she gets her love of baseball and soccer. But she also never stops being a girl, even for a moment. She allows herself to be this delicate and sweet person that me and her Oppa just loves to protect. And now there seems to be this third person who can do that, you."

Keun Seuk gets slightly nervous at this statement.

"Ya, I can hear your heart pounding again Keun Seuk. There's really no need for that, you know."

Keun Seuk smiles at Shin Hye's father, trying to control his nerves.

"I am not sure where you youngsters are headed with what you have. But I also prepared myself for this, quite some time ago. It's not easy. But I knew that someday my Shin Hye will grow up and meet other people and meet the man who can make her happy as me and her Oppa does. I'm not sure whether that is you. Only you two will know that. But I appreciate the lessons she is learning, that life is teaching her by spending time with you. She may not be ready to drive me yet, but at least now I know there's someone other than me and her Oppa to take her and her dreams to where she needs to be."

Touched at the confidence that Shin Hye's father had for him, Keun Seuk declares honestly,
Kamsahamnida Appa. I will try my hardest not to disappoint you. It's hard to promise not to hurt Shin Hye and all that stuff other guys will probably say. But I guess I can promise you the kind of honesty and friendship and protection that Shin Hye will need from me. That whatever we share, whatever happens between us, the end goal is to make her an even stronger person.

"You really are the smart and passionate guy Shin Hye paints you to be. I like that." Shin Hye's father tells Keun Seuk proud of what he has heard from the guy that makes his daughter's heart sing.

"And yes, don't go making promises that are hard to keep. I understand you are both still young. I anticipate you will still make mistakes. And for those times when your hearts will break, you can rest easy knowing that Shin Hye will still have me and her Oppa to help her mend it and go through the pain."

He pulls over to a rest area and turns to Keun Seuk.

"Let's make a rest stop quickly here. Then, let's switch places. You drive the rest of the way. After all, you deserve it, for looking like a worthy co-pilot."


1 comment:

  1. interesting story and u make it great sis...
    Keun Suk and appa interactions
    :)

    ReplyDelete